Wednesday, January 31, 2007

BRIEF THOUGHTS: Children of Men

Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Starring: Clive Owen, Julianne Moore
Plot: In a future dystopian Britain in which women have become infertile, a man must protect a pregnant woman from those wish to take advantage of her, and lead her to safety.
Thoughts: I always thought the trailers for this film made it look cheesy. Boy, was I wrong. This film starts with a bang and doesn't let up until the credits roll. The script and directing are strong enough to overcome a plot that could have potentially become insipid or just plain dumb. With the exception of some poorly-realized comic relief, once this film grabs you it doesn't let go. It's worth seeing for the cinematography alone - it contains two of the most lengthy, gorgeous tracking shots I've ever seen. I expected it to be good, but somehow it managed to click with me in a way that most films don't. I'm not sure if it's the kind of film I'd watch again any time soon, but it's quite possibly my second favorite film of 2006 behind The Fountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home