Thursday, December 14, 2006

BRIEF THOUGHTS: The Fountain

Director: Darren Aronofsky
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz
Plot: In this romantic sci-fi epic that spans 1000 years, a man fights to find the secret of eternal life to save the woman he loves as a Mayan conquistador, present-day scientist, and futuristic space explorer.
Thoughts: I had been waiting for this movie to be released for the past 1.5-2 years. It was by far my most highly anticipated film of the year, and part of me was certain that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. However, I am pleased to report that it not only lived up to them, it surpassed them. To try and go in-depth about this film would be impossible. There's simply too much there. I believe this film is in many ways the 2001 of my generation. Like that film, it focuses on a lot of heavy abstract themes, emphasizes visuals over dialogue and has an ending that will leave you feeling like you're high on acid. However, here's what I can definitely say about it:

1) This is a love-or-hate film. When critics saw it at the Venice Film Festival, it was booed. When the public saw it the next day, it received a 10-minute standing ovation. Most people have it on either their list of Best Films of the Year or their list of Worst Films of the Year.
2) This is a film that requires more from the viewer than simply sitting back and letting it explain itself to you. If you do not go into it expecting to have to think about a lot of things, and if you're not willing to probably not understand the details of what's happening, you probably won't like this movie.
3) This is one of the most gorgeous looking films I have ever seen, if not the most gorgeous.
4) This is the best film of 2006, and ahead of its time. I believe like 2001 and Blade Runner before it, although it has been met with mixed responses upon its initial release, in time it will be viewed as a masterpiece that redefined the science fiction genre in film.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

que chivo! i want to see the fountain. And 2001. Haahaha I need to be sci-fi culturized

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home